Sunday, August 5, 2012

Meditations on Water


August 5, 2012

Meditation on Water

I am water. 

I am the rain that fell on my upturned face last night. 
Life-giving, thirst-quenching rain swept up into clouds
To fall again and again.
To be dew and frost,
Snow and fog,
Puddle and flood.

I am the sluggish vernal pond that holds spring peepers and teems with life. 
I am rimmed with eggs and promises.
I am rich with swamp scents,
Protected by cattails.

I am the inland lake, 
sparkling with sunlight,
silver rippled surface in small breeze. 
Dark and cool in my depths, light and warmth in my shallows. 
Minnows breathe the air I hold.
 

I am the moving current
of the river and stream. 
My rocks are slippery with algae,
and crayfish tiptoe on my floor. 
The heron’s long legs pick delicately
along my borders,
and turtles sun themselves
on my fallen trees.

I am the Great Lake,
All colors and depths,
Turquoise and green,
Black and silver.
Lovely rocks tumble
With my crashing waves.
Wind whips me
While I am held cupped
In the hands of the continent.

I am water.

I change forms.
I stay the same.
I change colors.
I hold any shape you give me.
I have deeps no one has seen,
And shallows
Visible to all.
I am cold
And warm.
I overflow,
And I shrink away,
Becoming invisible at times.
I can be wild and loud,
And soft as a ripple,
Smooth as glass.

You may disturb me
Endlessly,
But I remain
In the end
Still.

Water.
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment