Sunday, April 28, 2013

Are you CRAZY? Or, a Walk on a Blustery Day


April 11, 2013

Today’s walk was not encouraged by the weather.  Wild, unpredictable wind blew the intermittent rain sideways.  I dressed for it, and was quite warm in my waterproof down coat, ear-band, hat, and hood.  Only my cheeks were cold.
The dogs drew me along, wet ears tucked tightly when the wind blew the hardest, but I could tell they were enjoying their outing.  Noses were busy, eyes scanning brightly for any movement. 
To my surprise, despite the rain and wind, the birds continued their spring chatter and calls.  The redwings, particularly, and the little finches kept up the little joyful sounds of spring beneath a grey and glowering sky.
For the brief time in the woods, there was so little color at first glance.  Because I am anxiously awaiting Green, I had to make an effort to notice the colors of a rainy, non-seasoned day.  The berry brambles, while leafless still, are a warm and deep red, almost purple.  A few have braved some tiny, green buds here and there.  The one and only hepatica plant I have ever seen in this woods is preparing its leaves, though I see no sign of the little purple flower yet.  But it is early.
Among the trees, there are two species still holding leaves.  The small oaks respond listlessly to the gusts of wind, with last year’s leaves limply the color of wet beach sand.  Sprinkled throughout the oak woods are the doomed beech saplings, their pale, paper-cream leaves still graceful and unaware of their certain future as the beech disease will surely come for them one day soon.

Just at the edge of the woods and swamp, I was delighted to see the pileated woodpecker with its large, bright, red head and enormous beak poking suspiciously at me from around a nearby tree trunk.  It treated me to two short flights before disappearing into the wet woods.  It was my first smile of the walk.

As we left the scant protection of the trees, my eye was caught by two soaring turkey vultures.  They wind-surfed the sky, dipping and gliding on the constant waves of air.  I envied their oblivion to the weather.  I doubt a sunny day affects their mood as it does mine, at least, from what I can remember of the last, long ago sunny day.  The turkey vultures are just as happy circling the skies on their wide wings, warm inside their feathers.  It makes no difference to them.
But aside from those few, the rest of the world had bundled up inside their nests.  Not even the squirrels poked their saucy little noses out to taunt my dogs today.  They were nowhere to be seen.  Nor did the rabbits dart from their usual hiding places, causing the dogs to lunge as one with me helplessly dragged in tow.
I can’t say that I would have chosen that walk today, if it were not for the dogs.  They need it, and I know that I need it.  My ghost dog came along, as always, dancing along before me, jumping into the flooded lands, sniffing about, but always tethered to me by love and friendship, never needing a leash, then, or now.
Another day, the skies are sure to lighten and the Green will come.  It will be easy to take myself outside.  Color will be everywhere, and there will be no need for so many layers.  I won’t have to strive to see the beauty as I did on this dismal and silent day.  The wind won’t be rushing about and the sky will be blue. 
But, I won’t have the world to myself.
T.


No comments:

Post a Comment